Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wardrobe made into man bar

I really do need to get better at posting my projects right when I do them :( maybe next time!

Ok, so my neighbor and good friend said to me one Monday afternoon "Hey, it's our anniversary on Sunday do you think you could make a Steelers themed bar to surprise my husband?"  Well, if you  knew me you know don't give me a challenge like that and expect me not to take it!  5 days wasn't much time though.  fortunately I had an old wardrobe that was once in my master bedroom that I was getting rid of.  And lucky me I have a very patient husband who is great at distracting the kids while I work :) Thanks Honey!!  There was tons of work to do though to make it a Steelers Bar.  I don't think he would have wanted to cream scrolls on the doors :)  Here is the inside with the door removed.  I couldn't locate the before pic.



Skip ahead, I stained the inside dark.  I didn't want to paint inside since the outside was going to be painted.  This just seemed to scream man bar.  I also installed lights and a mirror which I purchased at Lowes.  Shelves installed for all his collectible glasses.


After sanding to remove all the scrolls, your can't paint over them or it will show the imprint of the design through the paint, not good!  I painted the whole outside French Linen.  I am just loving Grays right now!!  Aren't you?  


 Ok, so I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with the Steelers design on the front.  Sorry Kate!!  I was just worried it would be to tacky being bright yellow, red and blue.  I was sooooo happy when she called and said she wanted it neutral!!  Yippee!!  I sketched the diamond onto a piece of cardboard so I could trace it onto the door 3 times.  After that it was just a matter of filling in with a paint brush.




Here it is painted.  Waiting to dry so I can distress and wax.  I added chalkboard paint inside both doors where he can write game times, scores or whatever.  Doesn't it look so great with the lights on?


Here is is finished.  He loved it by the way.  It was a great surprise!!




Kate got a mini fridge to go inside the doors!



Hope you liked it and it gives you inspiration to convert an unused piece of furniture to something else :)


No comments:

Post a Comment