Now don't get me wrong, I loved it like this. The top had tons of water stains when I purchased it. I decided to paint and distress the table. The issue with the top was one of the end boards was cracked and when you lean on the end of the table it separates some. Not to mention the whole top was rickety.
These are the carvings on the legs that I just loved. I do in hindsight regret painting the detailed areas, it took over 6 hours to remove the paint!!
First step was to strip the legs and remove the top. Like I said this took 6 hours with a toothbrush no less. Not a great idea to paint and then strip. But, I did decide that by doing that I guaranteed the stain for the top will match the legs perfectly. I know I would not have stripped the old stain off so in a way it helped :) or that's what I'm gonna tell myself anyway. Here are a few picture of the base getting stripped of the paint.
So glad that part is finished! But I love how the legs turned out :) Next step is to make the top. I used a Kreg Jig to do this and it made it much easier. If you are going to make your own table I do recommend that you pay close attention to the straightness of your boards. I had one that was a little warped and it through off the whole top by about 1/4 of and inch. Not an easy fix!!
I do so love my Jig!!! Drill all your jig holes. Make sure to use wood glue between each board. Clamping helps keep the boards exactly where you want them. Trust me they will shift without clamps, use clamps!
Once the top is dry you can remove the clamps and add the skirt. This is measured with recycled 1x1's.
Stay tuned for the reveal in part 2 , thanks for stopping by!!